01 October 2008

Dr. Purple Helmet

In an effort to save the planet and some money, I take the bus to work. I usually find a seat and turn on my IPod and zone out. Only once have I talked on my phone while on the bus, but I don't usually mind if someone else does. The other day, though, I forgot my IPod and was treated to half of a phone conversation that should not have been taking place in a public place. One of the other frequent bus riders is a middle aged man who works downtown. He brings his bike with him every day so he also wears a purple bike helmet every day. He is also a frequent cell phone user. On this particular date, I ended up sitting a little bit closer to Mr. Purple Helmet and because I didn't have my IPod, I was forced to listen to his entire 25 minute conversation. I've provided the beginning of the conversation for you in monologue format.

Mr. Purple Helmet: Hi Brandon, it's your Uncle Steve. Is your mom there?
Mr. Purple Helmet: Hey Lisa, I talked to Joe and he told me about your medical situation. I can't believe you had to go the hospital. Are you feeling okay now?
[And here's where it went down hill...]
Mr. Purple Helmet: Yeah, you remember Donald right? His daughter had the same thing, an ovarian cyst that burst. I can't imagine that kind of pain.
[I have to wonder if Donald's daughter appreciates her father discussing her ovaries with friends...]
Mr. Purple Helmet: From what I understand, there isn't really a cause or a way to prevent these cysts, they just develop and usually just go away. Did the doctor know why yours burst? What medications did he give you? What's the recovery time?

I'm not sure what Lisa's doctor told her, but apparently Mr. Purple Helmet didn't agree because he went on for several minutes about the meds Lisa should be taking and what her recovery time should be. All based on webmd.com and Donald's daughter, which makes him an expert and worthy of the title Dr. Purple Helmet. The next time I have an issue with my female reproductive organs, you know I'm going straight to him for a diagnosis.

Pocket Susan Advice: Use multiple banks. I barely have more financial expertise than Dr. Purple Helmet has medical expertise, but I have picked up a few things. One of the most important is to use multiple banks. It goes along with the saying, "Don't put your eggs in one basket." So if you have a checking account and small savings account with one bank then open a money market account with another bank. Clearly, our economy is hurting right now and banks have been failing. Even if a bank is insured, you may only get part of your lost funds returned. It's tempting to pull it all out and hide it in your mattress, but simply splitting your life savings between multiple banks is a smarter move.

No comments: