14 October 2008

Rain and What's In a Name?

Two significant things happened today. 1) It rained for the first time since I moved here two months ago and 2) my apartment was bought out and they changed the name of the complex.  

I was actually excited about the rain, but the apartment buy out was problematic because we had no advance warning.  When I came home from work and started to turn into the complex, I realized that it wasn't my apartment!  The name on the sign was wrong! I froze halfway through my turn in the opposite traffic lane, stopping perpendicular to the potential oncoming traffic that could fly over the hill at any moment.  I did a quick scan of the area and realized that it was all familiar, pulled myself together and turned in thankful that I didn't cause a major accident.  

Rather than send out a memo notifying residents that there would be a change, the new management decided that it would be a good idea to just switch the sign.  Surprise!  They assure us that the terms of our leases won't change and our deposits will transfer so there is nothing to worry about.  Except I just don't know what to do with the logo mouse pad they gave me as part of my move in gift.

Pocket Susan Advice:  Update your resume.  Even if you aren't planning on job searching in the near future, times are a little rough and it's better to be prepared.  Also, by the time you are ready to job search you will probably have been in your current position for some time.  Duties and responsibilities that you had at the beginning may no longer be in your portfolio, but it is still important to record them.  If those duties have been replaced, you may forget to list them when you're updating in a hurry.  A more relaxed time is when you will best be able to reflect and remember everything.  You may also want to check out the career center website of your college. They always have good tips and methods for resumes and may even offer special services for alumni.


No comments: