I was not aware that my single status was of great concern for anyone other than me. Actually, I'm not all that terribly concerned either so I didn't think it was a big deal. Period.
Oh, but I was wrong. I learned this week that if you graduate, get a job, and move to a new city that your next immediate priority should be finding a significant other. I have been here for two months. That's it. Just sixty-one short days. But I guess that should have been more than enough time. A loved one called on my birthday and the conversation was more or less as follows.
Loved One: Happy Birthday! How are you doing?
Me: I'm great! I really love it here!
Loved One: That's great, how do you like your job?
Me: That's great too!
Loved One: Fantastic! Have you met anyone?
Me: Sure, there are a lot of people that I've met at work and where I volunteer.
Loved One: Oh, but have you met anyone important? I mean, how's your love life?
Me: Well that's not really a priority right now.
Loved One: What do you mean, it's not a priority? You've been single for a long time.
Me: Yes, I suppose so, but I'm not worried. It will happen when it happens.
Loved One: I think you should at least make an effort. If you don't put yourself out there...
Me: If I don't put myself out there... what? I will die in a big house with just my 50 cats for company?
Loved One: I'm just saying, you're not getting any younger.
Breaking News: Spinsterhood is apparently not an outdated notion. It is alive and well and we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief to know that the women's liberation movement was not a complete success.
Pocket Susan Advice: Celebrate yourself! Regardless of your relationship status, it's always important to remember what's great about you as an individual. It sounds a bit cheesy, but you should take a couple of minutes to jot down all the things that you love about yourself. Or if you're not comfortable writing it, just make a mental list. You'll walk away a little bit lighter and more confident. Never forget all the ways that you're amazing!
No comments:
Post a Comment