I enjoy the fact that my friends are spread out across the country. Admittedly, there is a midwest and southeast concentration, but I do have a few on the west coast and in the southwest. I look forward to traveling around and visiting them. Seeing an old friend and a new part of the country is a great combination. Then I check my bank account balance for a reality check. With the increasing travel prices, it's getting more difficult to casually book a flight and head out to San Francisco.
An added frustration is that some friends are extremely eager to get together as long as you will come to them. My friend recently ran into a girl that she went to college with who now lives an hour or two away. They were not really close in college, more friendly acquaintances and had not stayed in touch in the three years since graduation. The girl was SO excited to see my friend and insisted that they should really get together soon and hang out. When could my friend drive up to see her? My friend told her that it would be difficult for her to drive up any time soon because her work schedule is (legitimately) very hectic, but she would like to get together. The girl accepted this, but rather than suggest that she might drive down instead she told my friend to let her know when she would be able to make it up.
This is a mild example, but hopefully it illustrated my point. What happened to taking turns or meeting half way? I've told some of my friends (and am extending it to you as well) that if they can come up with the funds for a trip to see me, I will pay half of their airfare. Mainly because I know that when it comes to taking travel turns, I am just as guilty.
Pocket Susan Advice: Renew your relationship with the US Postal Service. Yes, I know that email is faster, easier, cheaper, and more environmentally friendly than snail mail, but there is an immeasurable satisfaction in opening your mailbox and seeing an envelope that is hand addressed and not a bill. If you don't think you have the time, try keeping a box of stationery in your desk at work and writing a quick note during your lunch hour or between meetings instead of checking Facebook.
No comments:
Post a Comment