I lived in South Carolina for two years during graduate school and although they are becoming rare, you can still come across a guy or two who has a confederate flag sticker on the back of his pick-up truck cab and proudly declares that the South will rise again. And after two years I still have no answers to my questions regarding this issue. If the South rises again...
1. What will the issue be that gets people riled up enough to declare sovereignty? Is sovereignty even the goal? So what is the goal?
2. Which states will be considered "The South"? Just the ones that were before or will they expand to include the southwest as well? Are we still going by the Mason-Dixon line? What about Hawaii?
3. Where will the capital be? The most permanent capital during the war was in Richmond, VA, but the proximity to DC makes that seem like an awkward placement with all the commuters and whatnot.
4. Who will be in charge? Now that Strom is gone, I just don't think the SC senators really have the weight to pull it off. Not to mention a potential lack of interest on their part.
5. What will they do with all of the Yankee transplants? Will we be rounded up and deported?
Pocket Susan Advice: Make use of random rewards programs. All sorts of companies have developed rewards programs to encourage brand loyalty, take for example Coca-Cola's program mycokerewards.com. I am a loyal Diet Coke drinker, but I never really paid attention to the point labels inside the lids or boxes because I thought it was a waste of time. It wasn't until last year when my roommate (who drinks regular Coke and sometimes Sprite) and I realized that we went through a ton of points. I began to collect the points and enter the codes online and have gotten two 1-year magazine subscriptions for free, which saves me about $5 a month. So if you faithfully use one brand or stay in one hotel chain, then it might be worth it to check into their rewards program and get a return on your loyalty.
No comments:
Post a Comment