08 October 2008

Birthday Cake Blunder

Her jaw dropped as though I had said that I spend my weekends kicking puppies or overturning the elderly in their wheelchairs. I didn't think it was a big deal, but apparently in my coworker's eyes, I had just said the unspeakable. I intended to bake my own birthday cake.

I like to bake and in particular, I like to bake cakes for my friends' birthdays. I don't care for store bought cakes because there is always too much sickeningly sweet frosting. And I think it's fun to put a spin on a cake and make it unique. If it's my birthday then I should be able to do something that I like. And if that something happens to be baking cakes then I can and will make my own cake damn it!

And that's exactly what I did.

Pocket Susan Recipe: I baked a two-layer round chocolate cake for my birthday. The difference between this cake and an every day chocolate cake was the frosting. Mix a 3.4 oz packet of vanilla instant pudding mix with 1 cup cold milk. Whisk for about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter and continue to whisk. Finally, add 1 cup thawed cool whip and mix well. Spread on cake like normal frosting, but make sure you refrigerate or it will melt! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, my favorite kind of cake!!!

Hope you had a fabulous birthday, I miss you!

Susan said...

It's true, that particular cake with the addition of chocolate covered peanuts is actually in my recipe book as Tara's Birthday Cake. Thanks for sharing your cake with me, Tara!