23 July 2009

Freezing Frenzy

The thought of a freezing anything in Texas right now is laughable, we're on track to beat out the 1882 record for hottest summer in Texas history. Regardless, I did in fact, work myself into a freezing frenzy.

I made a quick run to the store to pick up some veggies for a salad for dinner. Once there, I noticed that 1lb bags of baby carrots were on sale for 10/$10 or 1/$1, which is about 50% off. Never one to turn away from a good deal, I bought five bags, which is about 4.75 more bags than I needed for my salad. I decided that it would be a great idea to cut them up and freeze them myself, which I did. It took me about 45 minutes to slice them all and toss them into a ziplock freezer bag. It also will save me about $5 (the approximate cost of 4.5lbs of frozen carrot slices minus the amount paid for the fresh baby carrots). Not huge savings really, but it was satisfying.

Pocket Susan Advice: I've really come to value the freezer as a great budgeting tool. Not only can I freeze vegetables, but I've also started buying greater quantities of meat products when they're on sale (check the meat clearance section of your grocery store for the best deals), splitting them up into serving size portions and freezing for later use. I've gotten so I only buy chicken breasts about once per month and spread out my consumption. My grocery budget has gone down noticeably since I started this practice.

2 comments:

cindy said...

You are an inspiration to cheapskates everywhere. :)

Susan said...

I do what I can. Really, I just prefer to save on carrots and chicken so I can splurge on shoes.