15 July 2009

And I have the books to prove it!

Why do we need books on our shelves to prove that we have obtained an education?

I was staring at a whole shelf of books that I have collected both from my undergraduate and graduate courses that I know I will never open again. But I still tote them from apartment to apartment and state to state straining my back in the process and for what purpose? In case anyone should question my expertise on J.F.K and the Cold War? Or in preparation for a pop quiz on the Formal Structures and Policies of Medical Universities? Or am I secretly hoping that people purusing my bookshelves will be impressed by my scholarship?

Yes, I agree that you should keep books that you will use a resource, but how many times have you opened most of those textbooks since you finished studying for the final?

With this in mind and in an effort to a) pare down my belongings and b) raise a little cash for some upcoming expense, I decided to list the majority of my textbooks for sale on Half.com (a division of EBay). After all, I reasoned, if I get stuck in some sort of crazy student organization legal issue I'm not going to skim through Higher Education and the Law; I'm running straight to the legal department at my institution. (Higher Education and the Law, by the way, sold for over $50 - about half of what I paid for it.)

Pocket Susan Advice: If you can stand to part with your textbooks, now is the time to do it. Class syllabi will be out soon for fall classes so students will be hunting for deals. Plus, if you wait too long, a new edition will likely be published and make your copy worthless.

No comments: