13 July 2009

Adventure Time

The following is an email I received from a friend of mine on her second day at a new job. If you know who my friends are, you can likely figure out who wrote this even though I have omitted identifying information.

Hey, it was interesting. I was here at 7:45am yesterday. No one showed up until 8:05am. And today, no one was here until 8:05am. Promptness does not seem to be important. I won't have keys until tomorrow so, I guess I'll continue my game of waiting in the hall.

I have a really big office. Well, at least I think it's big because they stuck four of us in a space smaller than this at grad assistantship. Temporary computer until the beginning of next week because the one I'm supposed to use crashed last week. There are no electronic records of past programs. Guess I get to do whatever I want.

Not entirely sure what my job is yet. There are only two programs we know we are continuing for sure: Emerging Leaders and the Leadership Awards Banquet. And I need to write a new student organization handbook this summer (?!?). Expect phone calls and e-mails about that.
Other than that, it's up in the air. The student activities person goes on maternity leave August 14 so I'll probably be doing something with that. And, I need to chair a Homecoming Committee (either King/Queen selection, Parade, or something else I can't remember). Here's the thing, I feel like way more should have already been done. But the office just took over Homecoming so I think this year might be interesting. So, who really knows what I'll end up doing.

I have nothing to do right now because I have no e-mail, Banner login, etc. until tomorrow so I've been going through old files. No one has gone through these things since the 80s. Lots of things from type writers and carbon copy paper. 5 boxes of staples, a key that goes to nothing in my office, 5 copies of a 1995 edition of The Leadership Challenge (There's a 2007 version and a new inventory) and a bunch of photocopied versions of the book. Copyright infringement doesn't seem to be a big concern. There are also photocopied versions of entire Dr. Suess books including the label that says "Property of County Public Library." I'd like to point out someone could have purchased these books at a bulk rate for less than what they probably paid in copy expenses. Oh well. So, it's adventure time.

Pocket Susan Response: Good luck to all of my friends who are still in the job hunt! Even more good luck to those of you who are starting jobs, lord knows that it's never quite what we expect!

1 comment:

Miranda K. said...

I can relate to this, thanks for the post. :)