26 May 2010

Too Old for Mixed CDs?

I heard somewhere once that there is an age limit on mixed CDs.  Apparently after the age of 24, you are no longer supposed to make them, should not give them, and really should not like them.  Well, I'm going to disagree.  I think they are great!  Here is my break down of when and why I would make them, give them, and why I really like them.

MAKE THEM
Okay, I don't really make many mixed CDs for myself these days.  The discman has gone the way of the 8 Track so there isn't much call for CDs in my life.  So let's just fold MAKE THEM into the GIVE THEM category since the second is dependent upon the first.

GIVE THEM
The other week I assembled 3 mixed CDs for a friend.  I call it my breakup collection.
CD 1: Cry it out
CD 2: Shout it out
CD 3: Go out!
Because every breakup deserves a good soundtrack.  She listened to them in the car all the way to Houston and told me later that that was when she really considered me a friend and not just a friendly acquaintance.

LIKE THEM
And honestly, a good mixed CD is one of my favorite gifts to receive.  And by "good", I mean a collection of 10-12 songs that a person considered carefully with their musical tastes and yours in mind because they thought you would like it or it would remind you of a special occasion.  There are few things that take as much time to sort and assemble that show that a person really thought about YOU.

So I'm a few years past 24, but I still look at the mixed CD with favor and as a round token of love.  After all, a nice show of affection never has an age limit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still listen to the break up mixed CD you made for me... even though I'm well over the break up.

It makes me think of you!

Miss you!

J. Kelly said...

I agree Suze, I love them. The last one I received was from Adam so I would have some good driving music. So boo on whoever thinks there is an age limit!

J said...

I love this post! I still listen to the fantastic S&J mixed cd's you gave me in SoCar, and to the 'Susan Loves the Eighties' mix, too. Cheers!