05 May 2010

The Blog-A-Day in May Challenge

One of my best friends, Kelly, works at FSU.  Last year she and some of her friends started a competition to blog every day in the month of May.  This year, to my delight, they have decided to continue the tradition but with a bit more structure (read: more competition).

Ordinarily, I would support Kelly 100% in her quest to claim as many of the prestigious titles as possible, particularly the Reader's Choice Award.  However, on the fifth day of competition, my support has been derailed.  Kelly's theme for the month was Quote of the Day.  And by quote, she intended to use only quotes she saw or heard or were written by someone she knows personally - not sappy quotes by someone famous.  Our other friend from grad school, Josh, wanted her theme to be dinosaurs.  I was thankful that quotes won even though Josh's request for dinosaurs received an honorable mention. 

Then, on the first day, the very first quote was ... about dinosaurs!  From her friend Mike.  Admittedly it was funny and appropriate and I liked it.  But day two was another quote that included dinosaurs, compliments of Josh.  It was also clever and relevant, but the post ended with this: I do not know if we can keep up the dinosaur quotes enough to keep them relevant, especially when things begin to pick back up around here, but I promise that if Josh keeps sending them my way, I will incorporate them into each post. Or maybe dinosaurs will just become the new theme.

This is problematic.  1) I do not like dinosaurs that much and 2) If dinosaurs are the theme then Josh has won.  It doesn't matter if he was actually trying to win.  It doesn't matter that there was no one competing with him.  I am just not okay with this scenario in which he is inadvertently winning.  
 
Therefore I have done what I thought would be unthinkable.  I have chosen to boycott commenting on Kelly's blog and have publicly thrown my Reader's Choice support behind another blogger, Regina.  I'm sorry, Kel.  I wish it didn't have to come to this.  But the end must justify the means.  Nix the dinosaurs and I will be happy to comment on Droplets again.

3 comments:

billydee said...

When I heard that you were boycotting Kelly's blog, I thought you might throw your support towards me or Mike since you have met us and hung out with us. Picking Regina was something that none of us expected.

Regina said...

This is out of control wonderful... Who would have thunk it in a million years that this would happen? First, Susan... Thanks for providing some of my fellow bloggers and non-bloggers with some much needed entertainment. Second, I am super flattered. Third, I know Kelly will eventually take you back, so I will enjoy this while I can. Fourth, thanks for supporting the challenge. And finally....I can promise that I will never write about dinosaurs even though I have enjoyed Kelly's post.

Unknown said...

I love that you just don't want me to win. It verfiys our relationship. :)