01 June 2010

No Such Thing As a Free Ride (Actually There is But Hitchhiking is Scary!)

Today, I forgot my wallet.  I had to borrow money from Justin so that I could buy lunch.  I hiked across campus to the Union to buy a salad, but remembered once I got there that the salad place is closed until summer classes begin next week.  Bummer!  Not wanting the fast food options available inside the Union, I wandered outside to Guadalupe Street and peered down the drag at my other food options.  
Texadelphia: too greasy.  
Einstein: too breakfasty.  
Wich Wich: too repetitive.  
I finally settled on Chipotle, not because I really wanted it, but mainly because it was closest.

I walked in, placed my order, and waited at the counter to pay.  I ended up standing directly in front of the large stack of red baskets that they place the "for here" burritos in.  The stack in this restaurant was extraordinarily large, in preparation for the lunch crowd.  I would estimate 1.5 feet of stacked baskets... leaning slightly to the right.  

I don't know if there was a breeze or one of the employees brushed the stack, but suddenly all of those baskets started falling toward me in slow motion.  All I could think was, "Oh gosh!  Everyone will think I knocked them over!  Don't fall on me!"  I reached out with my right hand and caught the top basket and secured the bottom of the stack with my left, forcing them back onto the counter.  "Phew! Close call!"

The manager of the restaurant happened to be standing there and he exclaimed, "that was amazing!  You saved us!"  

Um, no sir, I just saved myself.  But, "You're welcome."  And I moved forward to pay for my lunch with my borrowed money and get out of there.

Then the manager said, "I think that those quick reflexes deserve a free lunch.  What you think?  Is that fair?"

"Haha, sure.  Thanks"  I totally thought he was joking.

But when then the cashier asked if I wanted a drink and I said no thanks (borrowed money after all) and he said, "you might as well, it's on us."  

"Oh well, all right then.  Thanks!"

So debate about the existence of a free ride/hitchhiking aside, I have learned that there is a free lunch.

4 comments:

J. Kelly said...

have I ever told you how much I love reading your stories??

Susan said...

It's my exceptional story telling ability. It helps to begin the story about 5 steps prior to information that is actually pertinent and discuss in detail so that everyone feels like they were really there.

dyralston said...

I love reading your stories, too.

Miranda K. said...

Not that I don't love your stories, but I'd love free Chipolte. :)