18 June 2009

So Hot It Could Kill a Shoe

I wear heels pretty much every day and since I consider my shoes an investment, I am frequently taking my shoes in to be repaired. Usually it's just to get them resoled or reheeled as those are the parts that wear out most quickly. I have developed a relationship with the gentleman who runs my neighborhood Austin Shoe Hospital and look forward to his gruff version of customer service. (For the record, that isn't sarcasm -- I think he's hilarious!)

This time, I had one of my shoe heels come loose after only two days of wearing them, which is very upsetting. I rushed them into the shoe hospital for repairs. A few days later, I stopped in on my way to work to pick them up. As the man handed me the shoes, he told me, "Now, don't leave these in your car all day while at work. It's too hot and the shoes will come apart or become misshapen."

I promised not to leave them in my car, but he must not have been convinced because as I walked out the door he said, "If the Texas heat can kill people and animals that are in cars too long, then your shoes don't have a chance."

Pocket Susan Advice: When you're on a budget, it's tempting to buy cheaper clothes and shoes so that your dollar will go farther. Remember that in the long run, it's more economical to buy fewer items that are better quality because they will last longer that poor quality items that you'll need to replace quickly.

No comments: