01 April 2009

F.I.G.

F.I.G. stands for First-year Interest Group and is a seminar course for First-year students at my institution. I volunteered to be a facilitator for one of the classes and received the following email:

Dear Susan:

Congratulations! We are excited to welcome you as an Interdisciplinary First-year Interest Group (FIG) facilitator. FIGs are a great way to connect with new students and share your expertise about the University.

Based on your interests, we have matched you up with the following FIG:

Name: Exploring the Sciences and Engineering Seminar
Day/Time: W 10 - 11a

We will confirm room location in August. If you have any questions about your FIG time/day, please contact our office at (512) 232-3447.

Thank you again for your participation in the FIG program.

My response to the FIG Coordinator:

Sarah,

I am very excited to work with the FIG Program. I wanted to make sure that assigning me to Science and Engineering was not an error. I know absolutely nothing about engineering or science fields. If you feel that my lack of knowledge and resources will not be a hindrance to the students in this FIG then I will work with the group. I wanted to be sure that I do not need a Science background to be an effective FIG Facilitator for this group.

Susan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that Suze!