09 January 2009

Look out! I'm Going to Lobby!

Today I started arranging my funding for a conference that I am attending in March because my department will be paying for my travel. There are some special qualifications for the funding because it's technically state money and you can't use normal state funds to travel to Washington D.C. because it's not a state. Anywhere else in the US (including Hawaii and Alaska) are okay but state funds cannot go to non-states.

First, because I will be attending a professional organization meeting, I had to give a reason why it would benefit Texas. Then I had to state (for the record) that while in DC, I would not visit government bureaus or places of congressional business. (Shoot, the FBI tour is out!) I promised not to organize or participate in any public rallies. (Forget capital hill). I vowed that I would not, under any circumstances, lobby. I understand the reasoning, but if I were really set on lobbying do you think that my travel pledge would really keep me from doing it?

Don't worry Texas, I won't lobby.
I promise.

Pocket Susan Advice: It's already the 9th day of January and I haven't even discussed New Year's Resolutions. The reason being that I don't like them and don't make them. But if making a personal pledge on the first day of the year will help you make your life a little bit better than you go right ahead. I've seen people do great things with just a little bit more motivation like a New Year's Pledge.

No comments: