People have difficulty recognizing when I am and am not joking. This is partly my fault because I have a rather dry sense of humor and tend to keep a straight face regardless of what I am saying. This makes me a good card player, an intimidating babysitter, and an outstanding liar (when necessary), but never a nominee for any kind of superlative involving humor. I once told my best friend that I loved her not because she understood my jokes -- she didn't-- but just because she was able to recognize that I was making one.
I accepted that this was my issue and that I would have to tack on phrases like "Just kidding" to the end of my sentences or follow instant messages with lol (even though I'm not really laughing out loud). Recently, however, I've noticed that this extends to situations completely unrelated to comedy and joke making and don't think that I am at all to blame. I am at a loss as to how to best describe these situations and offer instead a example dialogue.
Me: I think that we should ______ .
Friend 1: Yeah, that's an awesome idea. I bet a bunch of people would want to ______. That would be so much fun!
Me: How about next Saturday?
Friend 1: That Saturday would be perfect!
Me: So you're in? Will you call Friend 2?
Friend 1: Definitely! Friend 2 would not want to miss out on this! I can't wait!
Later... an hour, a day, a week, whatever... just later...
Me: So did you call Friend 2?
Friend 1: Well no.
Me: But I thought we were going to ______ next Saturday?
Friend 1: Oh, I know we said next Saturday but didn't realize you really meant next Saturday.
Me: Um, what else would I mean by next Saturday?
Friend 1: Well it's a great idea and I would definitely do it, I just didn't realize you were being serious.
Unless you're somewhat like me, that probably doesn't make much sense and that's okay. Focus on the advice today.
No comments:
Post a Comment