There are three kinds of bartenders.
The first is a Lifetime Bartender who has never wanted to be anything but a bartender. They like their life just how it is.
The second kind is a Transitional Bartender. They work part-time or summers to put themselves through school or to make a little extra cash. The goal of bartending, for them, is to assist with their move onto something bigger and better.
And finally, you have the Visionary Bartender. These bartenders are only tending bar until they are ready to go out and make their mark on the world! Unlike the Transitional Bartender, this bartender doesn't really have a plan or any idea what that mark will look like or when they will make their move. So they continue to tend bar and wait for a epiphany to strike.
It was one of these Visionary Bartenders that gave me the name Pocket Susan that I'm using for this blog. We were bartending together at the Beer Barrel Saloon in Put-In-Bay, Ohio over a summer and like many Visionary Bartenders, she knew she wanted to go somewhere in life but wasn't sure how to get there. She frequently asked me for advice on all topics under the sun like establishing a good credit history, submitting resumes, and what types of photos were appropriate to post on Facebook. I know a little about a lot and just enough to be dangerous so for every question she asked, I was able to provide an answer. At the end of the summer, she said, "I wish I could make you pocket-sized so that I could carry you with me and pull you out when I need advice. My own little Pocket Susan."
Admittedly, the idea is a little creepy but it did give me the name for this blog and the idea for its content. My entries will focus mainly on my life with little stories and whatnot, but I'll make an effort to also include one random piece of advice in each entry. Hopefully, if you go to the effort to read my thoughts you'll also be able to take away something useful as well.
In case you're wondering, I was a Transitional Bartender.
Pocket Susan Advice: If you're feeling hungry, drink a glass of water. A lot people mistake thirst for hunger and eat unnecessarily.
No comments:
Post a Comment