David and I were driving up Guadalupe (a busy street that runs through Austin for those of you non-locals reading this) to lunch the other day. Shortly after 30th, I had to come to a complete stop (at a place where I really shouldn't stop) because there were several large cardboard boxes in the road. I noticed a small group of college age students on the sidewalk and one of them was looking at the boxes and then looking at the traffic, trying to find a time to go out and get them. I figured that the boxes were theirs, that they had fallen off their vehicle, and now they were trying to reclaim them, but were having difficulties in the heavy traffic. So rather than move to the left lane and go around, I stopped and waved at the young man and gesturing for him to get the box. I would be a good citizen and block the traffic. The young man smiled and ran out and retrieved the boxes and David and I drove on. I felt good -- random act of kindness for the day -- check!
But after just a moment of warm fuzzy silence...
David: I think that guy just did you a really big favor.
Me: What?
David: You just waved at him and made him move those boxes out of the road.
Me: So, those weren't his boxes?
1 comment:
I don't know why...but this post really makes me laugh. I can see the whole thought process going here...
Post a Comment