13 August 2009

Surprise!

For those of you familiar with San Francisco or with music and culture of the 1960s, the name Haight-Ashbury will probably ring a bell.

Haight-Ashbury is a district in San Francisco with a distinctly bohemian vibe. It became famous in the 1960s as the center for the counter culture revolution and boasted residents such as Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead.

This is one of those places that I really do not belong, but my goal for visiting Haight-Ashbury was to get a cool picture or two that I could frame and present to my sister's fiancee as an extremely cheap Christmas gift. He's really into music and music culture and is blessedly appreciative of anything I give him even if he secretly hates it.

Quinny and I walked down Haight Street and as we approached the iconic intersection I was absorbed in our conversation and not paying attention to the world around me. Big mistake. I cannot accurately described what happened next, but basically I felt and saw something jump out at me from the garbage can on my right and heard it make a loud noise. Of course I jumped. I may have made a strange squeaking noise. And then I walked quickly forward, pretending as thought nothing happened. Pretending like half a dozen people weren't laughing at me.

"What was it?" you ask.

An entrepeneur of the streets had removed the garbage can from the garbage can cover and then gotten inside. As brainless tourists (like myself) walked by, she stuck her hand and cup of change out the side and yelled at them. And then asked for money.

I do not react well to surprises. So I stalked on. Forced myself to make conversation and tried to act as though it the whole thing hadn't been extremely embarressing. Which it clearly had. And was greatly relieved when we left Haight-Ashbury behind.

Only to realize that I hadn't taken any pictures...

...

...

...

...

...

...



Sorry, Mike, I'll get you something better.

1 comment:

J. Kelly said...

Okay, so remember that I love you, but imagining you in this situation truly makes me laugh. ^_^